Latest News

Finally, it has to be said!

Homepage Forums QBSA Forum Social Space General Chat Finally, it has to be said!

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  MR 99 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

MR 99
    Participant

foul and miss rule
    When, will governing bodies realise that, in a rapidly declining sport, the current “Foul and a Miss” rule is not in the best interest of amateur players, I recently lost a frame and subseqently a match after having what must be a record amount of foul and miss called against me in the recent Kedron open snooker tournament, I gave away some 41 points, until I finally hit the ball “on”
    Did the referee think I was some pro player? After perhaps 3-4 attempts one would have thought that perhaps it was almost Impossible to get out of the snooker?
    Also, in the rules it clearly states, ” In the opinion of the referee, has the player made a “fair” attempt”
    One can imagine my frustration,which then turned to anger after numerous attempts, which were, I might add, all “fair”
    The worst part about being on the receiving end of this rule, is that it upsets your mental disposition which then means you are unable to play in the right frame of mind, which we all know, snooker is a very tough mental game as well as a game of skill, why should a player lose because of a rule which requires no skill to apply,!
    Let’s go back to the old rule for amateur players, as long as some reasonable and fair attempt has been made by the player in the snooker,
    In summary, as much as we would all love to be as good as the pro players we all watch and love on TV,in reality, we are just amateurs, and I for one have a full time job, and if I am lucky I may get 1 hour practice 3-4 times a week, give me a break, lol,

harold silver
    Participant

Firstly I would like to know who you are ‘MR’.99. NOWHERE in the current Rule book does it state “has the player made a fair attempt.” What the rule states to quote, “The player shall, to the best of his ability, endeavour to hit the ball on” etc .
    Now I was at Kedron only for a short while on Saturday as a referee, and I understand your concern. So if you would like to get in touch with me I will be happy to give you a Rule Book and for further needs, I would be happy to see you at a table to understand that concern. i will drive anywhere in the Brisbane area to you with no other obligation.
    In sporting anticipation,
    Harold Silver referee/examiner. You may phone me at 54964363 or e-mail at ..hihotriangle@bigpond.com

WilliamK
    Participant

Mr. 99, next time you play you may find that it is you who gets the points. Then you you may realise that it is not all bad as it swings both ways.
    In fact I used to feel bad about having the ball replaced, but after being caught myself many time, and sometimes for 20-30 points, I realised that one needs to accept the rule and learn to play it in order to benefit from it when it does come your way.
    As for suggestions that the rule should be abolished, it is there for a reason as anyone not playing an intentional miss when shooting otherwise could cost them the game and match is an idiot.

MR 99
    Participant

Your all missing the point trying to be made here. As a experienced player, I am ALWAYS trying to the best of my ability to get out of the snooker, not just hitting the cue ball into space! My argument is, the rule was introduced for PROFFESSIONAL players, not amateurs, and was only introduced to stop them,from deliberately missing, or having a fair attempt, we as amateurs are not in that same league as a pro player, and why should it have to cost a player a frame?, is that fair? I think not,

greybeard
    Participant

I’m not saying anything…….

MR 99
    Participant

It’s time that all amateur players voiced their opinion on the foul and miss rule, I am going to continue to lobby all the associations until we get the rule changed

WilliamK
    Participant

Well that has been done before and the FAM topic here used to have 3-400 posts.
    As much as anyone might not like the rule, most are in favour of keeping it.

MR 99
    Participant

I think your wrong, most amateur players I speak to, would like to have it removed from the amateur game, I think it’s time for a national vote and time to lobby ASBCA , have you read my other post?

WilliamK
    Participant

I think your wrong

Well I won’t waste my time discussing this any further.

blucky
    Participant

Yes, as an amateur i’m all for the FAM. How will the sport survive or your top young players of today ever succeed in snooker life if we do not adhere to the Rules.Like it or not the rule is here to stay and a very good rule at that.The Rule one day will be mildly refined,just like an ageing greybeard can be? I’ve seen 60 h’cappers playing safety off snookers.Keeping the ageing population competitive by handicapping reasonable players out of the game is too a blight.
    The average good player and youth coming through are being encouraged into to much game negativity so to as slow improvement.Foul and Miss get called and play the rules so
    in other words just be a Good Sportsperson and “I’M Not Saying Anythiing”………..else.

MR 99
    Participant

I wish to advise ALL referees that I will NOT be taking any legal action in the event of a foul and a miss call in any game I may be playing in, hopefully, commonsense will prevail and never again will we see over 39 points be awarded to the other player after “jagging” a snooker, please in the interest of the game,and remembering that it is, after all a Gentlemans game, how about we all decide that 3 attempts is a fair call and then carry on where the ball was left,or the player carries on!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.